Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Blacks n Jews

Growing up, I had a sense that my family (extended & of origin) did not care for Jews. Hate is probably too strong a word for it, since I honestly can't recall hearing any outspoken opinions one way or the other.
I've tried, over the years, to figure it out. I am coming to the conclusion that, for me, it is Israel. More specifically, the US bankrolling & propping up of Israel, while remaining basically a barely interested observer of conflicts between or situations within black or African regions*.
Social programs available in the States, theoretically designed to "level the playing field" for blacks here are not the same thing, in my mind. Liberia didn't exactly cut it, either.
Call it childish, but I think it boils down to a hey- that's not fair! He got more than me!! issue. Or something like that.

*Mogadishu- a situation that would have served the citizenry better had it remained a humanitarian effort. Just protect the food- don't try to mix it up if you don't have a plan. That just made things worse, I think.

5 Comments:

Blogger Veruka Salt said...

Its politics 101, Israel gives us a democratic ground in the Middle East some stability and lots and lots of cash, hey them f-14's and apache helecopters aren't cheap.

It has more to do with resources than nationalities, because I can almost be 100 percent certain that if a large portion of the worlds oil was in the sudan, our asses would be over there. I know its over simplified, but the concept is there.

As for the Jews, I live in Brooklyn they are allover the place, they only piss me off cause they have 500 kids, 6 cars and take up all the street parking.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Sara Thomas said...

The thing is, I know that a friendly, ostensibly stable presence in the oil region is vital- and it doesn't hurt that the founded- by-Christians-US & Israel share the same religious beginnings... I guess it's just a race thing that I was talking about- who deserves what for which injustice.
*Sigh* I really don't need much. 5 acres would probably do it.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Veruka Salt said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Veruka Salt said...

As a Puerto Rican growing up in the Bronx, I did not have to same discrimination that others went through. So if I wanted to be compensated I would just want a week in the Bahamas.

If you get your 5 acres, wanna race dune buggies?

1:01 PM  
Blogger Sara Thomas said...

Oh, yeah. It's on.

3:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home