Friday, October 01, 2004

Prognosis stable

It appeared as though Carrie responded to coaching, if not a hard target search for a moral foundation on which to stand.
It burned my butt to hear him try to pull this off:

KERRY: I believe in being strong and resolute and determined. And I will hunt down and kill the terrorists, wherever they are.

My opinion is that the debate was a tactical draw. I think that W said what we expected to hear, although I did wish he drove home this point more clearly, using different wording each time it came up for emphasis:

BUSH: Again, I can't tell you how big a mistake I think that is, to have bilateral talks with North Korea. It's precisely what Kim Jong Il wants. It will cause the six-party talks to evaporate. It will mean that China no longer is involved in convincing, along with us, for Kim Jong Il to get rid of his weapons. It's a big mistake to do that.

I also wanted him to emphasize this point:


(Bush): ...they went through a horrible situation in Beslan, where these terrorists gunned down young school kids. That's the nature of the enemy, by the way. That's why we need to be firm and resolve in bringing them to justice.

The enemy will meet Western resolve wherever & whenever they can. We have been & are at war with a wily, stop-at-nothing, spare-no-life enemy who sees every man, woman, and child as a clear target. Every one. I don't think it would have been ineffective for the President to put the fear of God into some people last night & remind them what we are up against.


We lost no ground, they gained none except a possible shot in the arm because their man proved amenable to the wishes of his focus team. The town hall thing will be interesting if only because this race is so polarized that I am not sure how one could be undecided. Uninterested, maybe, but undecided? No.

Copied content from The DesMoines Register.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home