Thursday, November 04, 2004

Sore winners?

Spouse told me that my posts yesterday made me sound like a sore winner (and reminded me that's why he will never play monopoly with me again- and hasn't for years.)

I told him not to take it too seriously, but I must add that I still stand by my sentiments.

Yeah, I'm sore. They've spent months telling me that I am somehow simple minded, hard hearted, and just plain wrong for my beliefs. They have, since the election was decided (decisively), proclaimed that they do not even understand how more than half the country's voters could share these political views. They don't understand how I think, and more significantly they don't understand why I think that way.

The thing is, I understand why they think the way they do.

For me, a mix of fatalism, distrust of man made systems and a belief in the existence of things not seen combine to form my belief system- which guides my political views.

They believe we can fix this. They believe that if more people would just share, and if it doesn't look like they are sharing, then we should make them share, then everything and everyone will be perfect.

They do not understand that you can't legislate compassion. Nor do they understand that you can not legislate that which is not easily defined, and compassion is an elusive concept with different meanings for different persons. (If you give a man a fish...)

They want to give everyone fish. They do not understand that teaching everyone to fish, or more realistically, allowing everyone an opportunity to learn how to fish will be better in the long run.

We will not be able to please everyone. The bottom line is this: we want to continue our uniquely American cultural traditions. We want to be free to worship, free to learn, free to earn, free to live- and as long as we are not infringing on the rights of our fellow man to do the same, we should be able to do so.

I truly do feel some compassion for Democrats and liberals. It was a crushing blow. I would hope (and pray, I am free to do that) that they will look at the results and study the feelings and beliefs behind them. The results of this election did not happen by accident. This is not a fluke and we are not wrong.

This is truth, this is America, and may God's will be done here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home