Monday, November 22, 2004

Tokenism & the "nigger beside the door"

Time constraints & plain laziness prevent me from linking to any source that would illustrate my views on this, so you will have to take my word for it or do the digging for yourself.

During my childhood in the 70s, my father worked for a large corporation based in the upper midwest, whose most visible product back then was a type of adhesive with many household uses. I recall, as a young child, hearing him use the phrase "the nigger beside the door" with an edge to his voice. Even then I think I was to some extent aware that he meant himself, and that it was no coincidence that all of the executives & managers whose homes we were invited to were white. Nice families & all, but white as hell. The only other blacks I saw or knew of were a couple of entry level trainees he brought home for dinner. I suppose our nice, 'white,' suburban set-up looked nice to them.

That swirl around the memory bowl leads in to my latest concern: accusations that the Bush adminstration is guilty of tokenism, and that Dr. Condoleeza Rice & Ret. Gen. Colin Powell are two of the "niggers beside the door-" just window dressing to make the administration look progressive, or sensitive, or in compliance or whatever.

I am, of course, disgusted at the tone of these accusations. I feel that the cry of tokenism implies that the persons in question are not qualified for the positions they hold, other than their color fulfilling some image category. I defy anyone to tell me that Dr. Rice & Ret. Gen. Powell are somehow not qualified for their positions. That aside, I am willing to contend that there are some who feel that neither are qualified or suitable for their positions, however, in that case, what should be in question is their education, prior experience, and career paths, not the color of their skin.

I've heard that a white dj from some Madison, WI radio station referred to them as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom. He then issued an apology to Aunt Jemima, a fictional character. Good for ratings, I suppose, although it must be easy to max out in a Madison sized market.

I am not going to state that only blacks are allowed to call each other derogatory names, although the label Uncle Tom makes more sense coming from a black person. What I will say is that Dr. Rice & Sec. Powell should be judged, labeled, and derided if needed for the quality of their work, not the color of their skin, the fullness of their lips, or the texture of their hair. Those who do so are causing irreparable damage to the liberal cause & likely even the Democratic party. This is a party that wants to mean something again someday. Its leadership should work harder to shut the 'nigger' lobby down.

Any party that would tell me they need my vote, they can help me if I vote, and then lose at the polls, and respond by allowing two of the most respected and powerful black persons in the free world to be called racially derived names deserves neither my, nor any other thinking person's vote.

I pity these people. They are too pathetic to even warrent my anger, at this point.

Very articulate thoughts on this from Jim at Right Thoughts.

Thanks, Jim. I got your back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home