Monday, January 24, 2005

A mouse sneezed into the petri dish...

and that is GWB's fault, too.

All human embryonic stem cell lines approved for use in federally funded research are contaminated with a foreign molecule from mice...a setback to the Bush administration's controversial policy that provides federal funding only for research using embryonic stem cell lines that were created before August 2001.

I passed college-level biology only by the S of my A, so I am nobody to monday morning quarterback a geneticist, but what does GWB's policy have to do with this? That policy limits funding from the federal government. Surely there must be some wealthy funder with diabetes out there who would fund this type of research. Raise your heads from the microscope, write some grant proposals & wait- just like everybody else who wants to do something but doesn't have the money to do it.

The researchers said the safest course was to create fresh batches of stem cells that were free of contamination from animal molecules — a process that could also take years.

Safest for whom? Surely not the lab-created embryonic stage human beings whose lives have no more value than a rhesus monkey. Whose lives are more valuable, and who determines that value?

And if anyone stumbles across this post who thinks I live in some glass house somewhere, look around. I have a child with a neurobiological disorder. I can say with certainty that I would give years of my life just to see him well and whole again. My life. Not someone else's.

You may check the source of this soapbox here.

1 Comments:

Blogger WarWagon said...

Oh yeah, everything from AID to West Nile Virus is Bush's fault! Didn't you get the memo from the DNC???

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home