Thursday, February 17, 2005

The first black NFL owner...

is both a good thing & a bad thing from where I sit.

I am always pleased when any minority or perceived minority breaks some achievement barrier. It opens the door.

I am, however, a native born & bred Vikes fan (or Queens fan, depending on how they're doing & how much I feel like emasculating them from my living room). A new, out of state owner who is likely spending all his unfettered capital buying an overvalued team with serious stadium issues might move the team. The NFL will not want to put up with Minnesotans who think that any money not spent on a new stadium will actually go to homeless puppies and kitties forever.

I already had to put up with no hockey team here. I will have to move if the state ends up with no pro football team. What the hell am I supposed to do Sunday afternoons in winter? Ice fish?

And do not even talk to me about Green Bay.

Lest there be any confusion, the hockey thing neither was, nor really is a big deal for me. I'm a black woman. Not too many hockey barriers I'm expecting to see broken any time soon. Still, I'll be happy for whoever does, & for the random minority hockey player (who this season is sitting home like all the rest.)

Is it just me, or has the hockey lockout not been as tragic as some thought? Could pro hockey disappear and people actually not miss it all that much?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home