Friday, April 29, 2005

Blogger etiquitte.

Etiquette stresses me out. I believe I am capable of initial politeness. It's the reciprocal stuff that confuses me. Blogging just makes it worse. What exactly is blogger etiquette? Is there a standard?
Some questions:
How long do you leave a seemingly inactive blog on your blogroll? Especially if you really liked it in its day?

Must one reciprocate each blogroll-listing one comes across? Or that is brought to one's attention?

How big a deal is de-rolling someone? I am sure that overall it is a meaningless gesture, like boycotting Chevrolet or something like that, but should some explanation be given? Especially if the de-roll-ee is an, um, lesser-read blog.

Some of this comes about because of something I read on another blog or two. Something about blogdom being 'clique-ish' and that particular blogger wanting to opt out of it. What went through my mind was, "Well, duh." Of course it's clique-ish. You start a blog, you read other blogs that you like, and most often because you share some opinions, you blogroll them & maybe correspond through comments, posts or email. Sometimes you try to come up with a blatant ploy to get invited to their block parties & maybe even a ride on their friend's boat. Whatever.

Anyway. I am still pretty much the most unsophisticated blogger I am aware of. I'm working on it, though. Well, okay, I'm not- cut me some slack. I'm busy.

Dangit.

This is part of my problem. I start out with some kind of intention, which was to incorporate this link into a post, and then I get wrapped up in some etiquitte crap & forget why I was even here. I'll have to explain the link later, when I can clear my head. All thanks go to Chris, though.

4 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Hmmm. All things I never really thought about.

Hey, how about a sworn blogger code: no mocking other bloggers, or your blog will get swarmed.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Sara Thomas said...

But won't that take all the fun out of it?

JK. I've made that mistake, in comments on another blog & I felt like an insensitive ass afterward. I did apologize & have actually only been back once or twice since. Like somehow they could tell I was lurking & thinking rude, critical thoughts...

11:31 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Well, if you figure out anything useful about what it means to be "well educated" (the subject of the linked post), I would be glad to hear it.

Of course, every blogger wants to be blogrolled as often as possible, but it's hard to imagine that many would take offense at not being blogrolled or removed. After all, nearly every blog in the universe has committed the sin of not blogrolling me, how much more damage if there's one more?

12:25 PM  
Blogger Sara Thomas said...

Rob?
Consider yourself rolled, baby...

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home