Friday, April 08, 2005

Some changes...

I really have no excuse. It's been mostly laziness that has kept me from blogging in recent weeks. I've even seen, read, or heard stuff but haven't taken the time to blog on it & of course have now forgotten whatever it was.
Nonetheless, some changes may be happening. I recall, I think it was Scott at Right Moment, addressing the issue of possibly needing to discontinue his blog at some point after completing his degree.
I'm not as close to completing this degree (next year) or entering a master's program (2007, if I decide to do it), but I am running for a seat on my daughters' school board. The language alone in this blog could make things unpleasant for my girls, and would certainly render me unelectable, even to a small school board. The expressed political opinions would probably shut the whole effort down.
It's tough. I don't want to pretend to be something I'm not, or deny a part of myself (namely my big mouth), but I also really think that I could do some good for the girls' school program at the board level. I wouldn't have considered running if I didn't think so. I don't want this outlet to shoot that effort in the foot.
Since Tony at Red Mind has reported extensively on the corruption in the Roslyn school district, I find my school board aspirations to be kind of funny. I am running in part because I think the current (appointed, not elected) board is a bit out of control & could use some perspective. My kids' district definately ain't got the kind of money that'll support a Roslyn level of corruption, though.
Wonder if there's any way to turn this blog into a "my kids' school board is crazy" blog, possibly from an insider's point of view? We'll have to see...

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris of Dangerous Logic said...

You may as well keep blogging. Look at it this way - you can't un-write what you've already done.

I hope you get elected; then you can read for a series of lessons in What Not To Do.

11:18 AM  
Blogger A Red Mind in a Blue State said...

I faced a similar problem when I started. As you know, I use my real name, so there's no hiding. I also have kids who are a bit older-- so I have tried to keep my site cleaner--much cleaner than I am around adults. That's the trade off, I guess.

I served on a school board. It can be overwhelming, frustrating and disappointing--but it can also be thrilling and worthwhile-- it clearly was a high point in my life.

I wish you well. Running for election is never easy--you put your ego and yourself on the line--it's scary and I NEVER cheer whensomeone loses--even if I don't agree with them--cause it takes guts to lay it on the line, whether its a school board or the Presidency.

So good luck--maybe you can do double blogging-- a mystery site to let it all out, and a more "appropriate" site for your public face.

Good luck--and if I can be any help--I'm here!

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home