Thursday, May 05, 2005

I have figured a few things out.

Actually, it's probably only one thing but it works for me.

I included a link in my last post that my initial sidetrack led me to fail to explain. I won't explain it much now either- that will come though, likely in my next post.

That link, however has led me to finally define what attracts me to a specific blog & now allows me to solve my own blogroll etiquette issues.

A good story. I like a good story. I love to read, always have & if I could live anywhere it would be in the small apartment above my own tidy little used-book store that specializes in extremely well written fiction, rich tales of adventure & woe, fact-based historic accounts and carefully chosen nonfiction.

That said, I now know how to clean up my blogroll. Chris tells an excellent story- I laugh out loud, I can see the setting, the characters are rich. He graciously provides us with links to explain unfamiliar terms. My vocabulary has increased- I'm able to make fun of people & situations & they don't understand what I said.

Rob, the author of the unexplained link, is a gifted storyteller. Take some time to read his discontinued blog (there's a link to his current site). I was only able to get through two stories/posts in my initial reading. They were not too long, they were just that full, moving & engaging.

Italian American Princess tells a nice story as well. Mostly auto-biographical, but concise, not cloying. She doesn't vie for sympathy or wrench feelings out of her readers. She just tells her tale. Her self-described snarkiness is a refreshing change of pace from the happy-crappy stuff I've found in so many other women's blogs. (One of the reasons I miss Veruka).

Logic Monkey is a good reporter & offers a lot of fuel for thought to his readers. He unabashedly shares his opinions on weighty subjects, but is also well able to explain them & provide the background to do so.

Make me think, send me someplace I've never been, let me peer over your shoulder. Let me feel what you felt, or if that is too close, let me appreciate what you did & know what you experienced.
I love a good story.

4 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Thanks :-) Now I'm blushing. Stop that. Tough beeeyatches like me aren't supposed to blush. ;-)

8:12 PM  
Blogger Chris of Dangerous Logic said...

And I'll join Her Highness in the blushing department (although I always thought describing settings was my weak point). Thanks!

5:44 AM  
Blogger Chris of Dangerous Logic said...

Forgot to answer your original question. Right Thinking Girl tells great stories.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Sara Thomas said...

I'm from MN. Lakes, boats & beer... guess I'm familiar with many of the settings you've described!

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home